Using the Volume Purchase Program (VPP) from Apple, you can purchase licenses for iOS and macOS devices in bulk volumes from Apple. When you assign those licenses to users or groups, you maintain ownership and have comprehensive control over their content. If apps are no longer required, you can assign them to a new user. Add the apps you want from the Apple App Store under Apps and Books in the Apple Business Manager.
- Select in the Management Console Control Panel→ Apps & Docs.
- To create your VPP Accounts and to assign the apps to the users (after they are purchased), click on Create in the VPP Accounts tab.
- Then select the preferred platform (arrow in illus.).
- Enter the following settings:
- Account Name: Enter a name for the VPP account.
Note! The sToken must be created in the Apple Business Manager with the same company account as the managed Apple IDs used for the User Enrollment.
- sToken: To request the app information from Apple, you need the sToken. Download it from Apple Business Manager under Settings→ Apps and Books→ My Server Tokens (arrow in illus.).
- Open the file .vpptoke in a text editor and copy the contents into the sToken field. Once a year, you have to install a new token.
- Assignment type: You can select here whether you want to assign licenses to individual devices, or to users.
- Device assigned: If the licenses are assigned to individual devices, you don’t need any Apple ID. The app will simply be pushed onto those devices. With device-based licensing, if a user is using multiple devices then one license is consumed for each device.
- User assigned: However, if a license is assigned to a user, an Apple ID will be required. The user will receive a prompt and must enter his personal Apple ID. Only then can he download the app from the App Store. Apps are automatically available to load onto all of the user’s devices. In this case, one license per user is used (regardless of the number of devices).
Note! For private devices that are managed via User Enrollment, the Assignment type, User assigned must be used.
- Mandatory: The apps that you can distribute with your VPP account are Managed (see Managed Apps). To enable you to push the apps directly onto the devices, the option Mandatory has been set.
- With Prevent backup of app data you can prevent backups of app data from being created.
- Data roaming: If this checkbox has been disabled, the user may not use the VPP apps in roaming mode in the mobile network. You can customize this basic setting later, per individual app (you will find a description (see below).
- Cellular data: If this checkbox has been disabled, the user may use the app over Wi-Fi only, but not in the mobile network. You can customize this basic setting later, per individual app (see below).
- VPN profile: If you have created a VPN profile under Control Panel→ Profiles, you can select it here.
- Single Sign-On profile: If you have created a Single Sign-On profile under Control Panel→ Profiles, you can select it here. You can also enter URL prefix matches.
- Click on OK to create the VPP account.
- If the Assignment type→ User has been selected, the users must now be activated for Apple VPP.
- To do so, select Apple VPP account (left arrow in illus.) and then click on Assign Users (right arrow in illus.).
- Then select the desired user and click on OK.
- The assignment can be removed at any time by clicking on Unassign Users.
Note! When using device-based licenses (Assignment type→ Device) this type of activation is not required. The VPP apps can instead be assigned directly.
All the apps that you have purchased from Apple through your VPP account are now listed under Apps (left column).
Note! If you add a new app to your account in the Apple Business Manager, select your VPP account in the management console and click on Refresh (see illus.). The app will then also be added to the left column.
- If required, the individual apps can be edited beforehand. To do so, select the desired VPP app (upper arrow in illus.) and then click on Edit (lower arrow in illus.).
- You can now assign the apps to your users, as described in Assigning apps.
- If the app is not Mandatory it must also be rolled out, as well as being assigned to the users. The buttons Rollout on assigned users or Rollout on failed users (in case the first attempt fails) are provided for this.